The incidence of bipolar disorder—also known as manic depression—is significant, with over 3 million individual cases recorded per year in the US alone. Unfortunately, awareness of the condition has lagged its growing prevalence, leading to situations such as that experienced by LifeREstyle co-founder and author of Stress Pandemic Paul Huljich, who embarked on a quest to understand the condition and find healing after his own traumatic experiences with bipolar disorder almost 20 years ago. (Read more about his ordeal with Bipolar Disorder here.) Paul chronicled his journey toward understanding and freeing himself from this agonizing mind condition in Part 2 of the novel Betrayal of Love and Freedom, and the Nine Natural Steps that he developed to ultimately cure himself of the condition are outlined in detail in Stress Pandemic. Paul’s Nine Natural Steps form the basis of the LifeREstyle Program, making it the natural choice for those struggling with bipolar disorder.
Bipolar Disorder manifests in several forms, including Bipolar I, Bipolar II, and Cyclothymic Disorder (also known as Cyclothymia). Bipolar I Disorder involves the experience of at least one manic episode, while a Bipolar II Disorder diagnosis requires at least one depressive episode plus a hypomanic episode (a less extreme version of a manic episode). Cyclothymic Disorder can be thought of as a milder version of Bipolar II Disorder. Note that, despite the minimal criteria listed above, it is quite common for all sufferers of bipolar disorder to experience depressive episodes and not just manic episodes. This sometimes make diagnosis distinct from forms of depression a challenge, as individuals are often more likely to seek help for symptoms of their own accord during a depressive episode rather than a manic episode.
Bipolar Disorder Symptoms & Warning Signs
People experiencing a manic episode, described by the DSM as a “distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood lasting at least 1 week,” may show the following signs:
- Inflated self-esteem
- Decreased need for sleep
- Excessive talkativeness
- Flight of ideas or a sense that thoughts are racing
- Easy distractibility
- Increase in goal-directed activity or psychomotor agitation
- Excessive involvement in pleasurable but risky behaviors, like spending a lot of money or having reckless sex
- Feeling very “up,” “high,” or elated
- Feeling “jumpy” or “wired”
- Difficulty sleeping
- Becoming much more active than usual
- Thinking they can do a whole lot of things at once
People experiencing a depressive episode may exhibit some of the symptoms listed in this site’s depression section, showing such signs as:
- Feeling very sad, down, empty, or hopeless
- Having very little energy
- Having decreased activity levels
- Having trouble sleeping, either sleeping too little or too much
- Feeling like they can’t enjoy anything
- Feeling worried and empty
- Having trouble concentrating
- Forgetting things a lot
- Eating too much or too little
- Feeling tired or “slowed down”
- Thinking about death or suicide
Working with LifeREstyle
LifeREstyle Redondo Beach specializes in helping people experiencing bipolar disorder find true healing and empowerment.
When choosing LifeREstyle as your path to wellness, know that you are choosing the most comprehensive program available for bipolar disorder.
Visit the LifeREstyle Program page for further information about our program.